Friday, July 17, 2015

Family Time



This week I’m staying with my brother and his wife and my mother who lives with them. It’s
valuable time that I really want to take advantage of. They live about two and half hours away from where I live so we don’t get to see much of each other as it is. I’ve been here a couple of days and I’ve already enjoyed it. I do have to admit sometimes it’s hard for me to keep up with their pace but I’m not complaining because I will push myself just to not miss out on the time with them.
I don’t get chances to spend much time with my mom. We mostly see other in passing if by chance. She tends to stay pretty busy and I think that’s great for her. I’m glad she takes advantage of that. I
hope she keeps up the rest of her life. But think because we tend to see each other in passing she has not had the opportunity to see the symptoms of my dementia firsthand. Since I’ve been here they are noticeable. I forget the very name of my niece who is staying with us. I even forgot the name of my sister-in-law sitting in the front seat of the car as we drove through town. There have other lapses in my memory and fumblings for words and forgetfulness. 

I got to go garage selling with my mom, sister-in-law and niece. I actually hate garage selling but I actually enjoyed it this time. Probably because my sister-in-law looks for items and deals to redo and refinish in order to turn around and make a profit out of. None of this looking for junk. I love redoing furniture and I found two old children’s rocking chairs for me to redo as projects. I was so excited. Plus my mom gave me her early Christmas present to me. A 133 piece set Black & Decker tool set with drill and all the fittings. Of course they gave me “suggestions” for me to do as projects to put in their craft booths to sell. 

The day wore me out. I can’t go like I used to. Even if I’m not active during the day I still require a nap at some point. But the time spent is valuable for both me and for them. If not making memories for me then at least for them. 

Yesterday I helped my brother take out a radiator out of one his new project cars. He’s bought three new muscle cars. Two old Mustangs and I think a Camaro. I don’t get to spend much time with my brother. He’s 5 yrs younger than and in the Army. Has been since he graduated high school. He’s been deployed four times and will leave for another come November for a year.  I want to spend as much time and talk with him as we can before we leave. A lot can change in a year as far as progression.

I still have until Saturday with my family. I miss my wife terribly. We chat on Facebook and text back and forth. And I sleep even less without her by my side. Being without her helps me realize how much I depend on her as my caregiver and not just my wife. Although she hates to be referred to as my caregiver. But I depend on my wife a lot. I feel safe with her around. She knows what to anticipate. She knows what to expect when I don’t know. She’s my solidarity when I’m confused. She’s protective of me. 

I’m having fun and enjoying the laughing. I’m cherishing the laughing that comes from the humor that only my brother and I seem to understand together. I hope I remember most of this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment